Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dear Resin BJD Wig Review I

Part Two posted! See it here.

***

Hello 2013! As usual, things are pretty busy around here on my end. Aside from my day job, I'm also a bit swamped with commissions. Thank you guys! :)

Anyway, let's talk about one of my favorite BJD items: wigs. I love them! I don't have that much, but between two dolls, I own eight wigs - two for Axis, five for Alice, and an unclaimed "experiment" fur wig. Wigs can easily change the whole look of the doll - even without changing their face-up. I distinctly  remember the feeling of awe when I first changed Alice's wig from a long straight wig to a wavy wig. It was like having a whole new doll!

As a little project for my blog, I'll be doing a series of wig review posts on all the wigs I own. I hope you find my posts informative. :)

An opening photo just because. XD


Warning: Pic heavy post!




First up is a Milky Queen Castel wig!



Brand: Milky Queen Castel
Date bought: May 2011
Color: Blonde
Size: 9-10
Length: Approx 60cm.
Price: Free (Part of Doll Love package, but can be bought  for $19)
Where to buy: Liwenjie0310 on Ebay

I was very surprised with the length of the wig when I first opened the package. I was expecting it to be at around waist length based on the store pictures but it turned out to be a bit longer than Alice! The bangs are also a bit too long so I had to trim it a bit. Since its Alice's first BJD wig, I opted to keep the length and buy her another shorter wig.


Actual Pictures:

Front:






















Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)


Back:





















Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)


Top:

Without Flash

With Flash


Inside:



Pros:
* A bit cheaper compared to other fiber wigs.
* Doesn't tangle much. I only had difficulty maintaining it due to the length.
* Fiber thickness is just right.
* Not too shiny in photos.
* The wig has a garter inside, so it stays in place even without a wig cap/velcro

Cons:
* The wig is a bit thin. As you can see on the Inside photo, the wefts are sewn at almost 1cm apart.
* Easily sheds fibers.
* Has a few wrinkled fibers on top.


Verdict:
Its a pretty good wig in terms of price, but I won't really recommend it if you're very fussy with wigs due to the shedding. But, it can withstand simple styling like pony tails or braids. It photographs well even with flash. I would totally recommend it if you are looking for a cheap fiber wig.


***

Sunny's World Bob-cut Wig


Brand: Sunny's World
Date bought: August 2011
Color: Blonde
Size: 9-10
Length: around 8-10 cm (shoulder length)
Price: 64CNY + agent fees in 2011. $24.5 in 2013
Where to buy: Sunny's World

Because of the length of her first wig, I wanted a short and manageable wig for her when we go out. The original photo for this on Taobao (back when Sunny's was still a Taobao shop) was at chin length, so I was a bit disappointed when I got a shoulder length wig. Good thing it still worked for Alice.

Actual Pictures:

Front:














Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Back:


Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Top:

Without Flash 

With Flash

Inside:


Pros:
* Quite cheap when bought from Taobao. Unfortunately, Sunny's stopped selling on Taobao (they now have a stand-alone shop here) .
* Very fine fibers! Its almost like a doll-scale hair fiber. :D
* Keeps its shape even after styling/playing with it.
* Made by FStyler, the same brand that makes Crobidoll's mohair wigs.

Cons:
* It has a lot of fly-away fibers. It may be an easy fix with a water-based gel.
* Very shiny when photographed with flash. 
* I love the fine fibers, but it also makes it a bit fragile. Fibers can easily fall off or crumple if mishandled.
* Fits perfectly on Alice, but falls off easily. A wig cap or velcro is needed to keep it in place.

Verdict:
Although I am not very fond of this wig, I still think it was a good buy - only because I was able to buy it from Taobao. I think its current price is a tad bit too expensive for the quality. I'm quite curious about the quality of their new wigs, especially now that they have really well styled wigs (based on their shop photos). I don't think I'll but from them again any time soon, but maybe I will consider it if they have a style that I really like.


***

Sunny's World Long Wavy Wig



Brand: Sunny's World
Date bought: August 2011
Color: Blonde
Size: 9-10
Length: around 30 cm (waist length)
Price: 82CNY + agent fees in 2011. $29 in 2013
Where to buy: Sunny's World


Alice was always meant to have long wavy hair with bangs. Back in 2011, Sunny's didn't have the style I wanted, so I opted for this one instead. Besides, I wanted it too because I can make Alice cosplay Princess Emeraude from Magic Knight Rayearth with this wig. :D 


Actual Pictures:

Front:






Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)



Back:


Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Top:

Without Flash

With Flash


Inside:




Pros:
* I love the style! It also looks great when photographed without flash.
* Like the short wig earlier, the fibers are very fine.
* The hair part on top of the wig is very well made. I can't see the tips of the hair weft at all!
* Keeps its curls even after combing it.

Cons:
* Hard to maintain. It tangles easily and refuses to go back to its original state even after soaking it in fabric conditioner. Although it looks ok on photos, the fibers on the tip are way too tangled. Not even trimming can save it.

* Very shiny when photographed with flash.
* Since it tangles easily, I don't feel comfortable styling it. 
* Like the previous wig, I love the fine fibers, but it also makes it a bit fragile. Even with careful handling, the fibers get crumples easily.
* Fits perfectly on Alice, but falls off easily. A wig cap or velcro is needed to keep it in place.


Verdict:
I'm quite disappointed with this wig. As much as I love the style, I can't work with a wig that requires too much maintenance after each use. It tangles way too easily. Sure, it can still be saved with much effort, but I'd rather get another wig from another company in the same style that will not require much hassle.




***

And that's it for part one! Three wigs down, five more to go! If you have any questions or comments about my review, please feel free comment below. Also, if the pics are wonky or won't align on your end (especially on the left-right pics), just let me know. :)


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message here!