Friday, February 1, 2013

Dear Resin BJD Wig Review II

And we're on to Part II! Woohoo! This post includes one of the wigs from my current favorite wig source: Crobidoll!



The moment I started to share the first wig post, I knew someone would ask me about my Crobi wigs (hello Kanis!). See, I have this very obvious bias towards Crobidoll wigs. I am so biased that I would always recommend their wigs to everyone. But I wanted to do this review series in order, so I had to put up the first ones I acquired since I stared the hobby. 

Again, warning: Pic heavy post ahead!



Crobidoll Mohair Wig



Brand: Crobidoll
Date Bought: February 2012
Color: Milky Blonde
Size: 9-10
Length: about 10-15cm
Price: $27
Where to buy: Currently Unavailable


This wig was actually bought "by accident". A friend had a surprise rush Crobidoll G.O. and I couldn't go online that time, so I opted to just describe the wig I want. I think we had a bit of misunderstanding somewhere in between, so I ended up with the mohair wig. No complaints tho, the wig looks really nice on Alice!

Actual Pictures:

Front:




Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)



Back:





Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Top:

Without Flash

With Flash

Extra

Inside:



Pros:
* Its very soft to touch! I couldn't stop petting it when I first got the wig.
* I just love how this wig looks in photos. The fibers look very natural.
* The amount of wefts in the wig are just right - not too thin, not too fluffy.


Cons:
* Difficult to maintain due to the nature of mohair. 
* It has a lot of fly-away fibers. Its not visible in photos, but it can be a bit bothering in person.


Verdict:

I love this wig! It many not be exactly the one I originally wanted, but it worked out for me in the end. But due to the nature of mohair wigs, I can't really recommend this as a permanent wig - unless the look of your doll requires very fluffy hair. :)


***

Taobao Brown Fur Wig



Brand: ??? (Taobao)
Date Bought: March 2012
Color: Cream Brown
Size: 9-10
Length: about ~10cm
Price: about $12 (bought second-hand from a friend)
Where to buy: ???

When Axis came home last year, I was absolutely unprepared. No shoes, no wig, nothing! :D Good thing my friend has a few extra wigs and I was able to borrow this one. Good thing my friend eventually let me buy this wig from her.

Actual Photos:

Front (yes, that's the front):

Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Back:


Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Top:

Without Flash

With Flash

Inside:

This is the insides of a different wig, but it looks practically the same - minus the blue lines


Pros:
* The fibers are fine and soft
* Very easy to style! Its soft but it still hold up when styled that way - even without water-based gel
* Looks natural, depending on styling
* Fits Axis very well. There's no need for a velcro or a wig cap

Cons:
* Sheds a LOT. It requires gentle handling to avoid too much shedding
* Will look really fake if not styled well
* The top part looks a but matted - but this is the nature of this material


Verdict:
Many may not like fur wigs, but I just love this one. It gave Ax so much personality. He can look mischievous one minute, then goody-goody boy the next. And I just love how I can just shake the wig, put it on him, and voila! Styled hair! But although I love this fur wig, I'm not sure if I'll get him another since I already prefer him wearing a fiber wig. :)


***

Hand-made Fur wig

From a looong time ago. XD

Color: White
Size: 9-10
Length: about ~15cm
Fur Source: Divisoria

One day in Divisoria, I decided to buy some fake fur to try out a fur wig pattern. After a few hours of fiddling with fur, I ended up with this wig. The pattern works, but the fur I got looked really bad as a wig. Haha.


Actual Photos:

Front:



Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)


Back:



Without Flash (L), With Flash (R)

Top:

Without Flash

With Flash

Inside:



Verdict:

Well, the wig looks ok on photos, but in general, I hated it because of the synthetic fibers. It's too obvious that the fiber is plastic. Lesson learned: instead of settling for a cheap fur fabric, I should have spent a bit more for better fur. This applies to buying wigs as well (don't settle for anything cheap!). Well, at least I know the pattern works! Maybe I'll try again someday.



***


Six down, two more to go! I hope you find my "reviews" useful. Again, if you have any more questions about my bjd wigs (or wigs in general!), just leave a comment here or shoot me an email. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message here!